Sunday, April 25, 2010

Shepherding

Laurel Reflection by Richard Shilling

I was reading Richard Shilling's {Land Art} blog this morning where he was musing about spring and little lambs leaping through the meadows, and about the cycle of life. It came home to me again while I was sitting in church and heard the readings, which mark this Sunday as "Good Shepherd Sunday".


Adoration of the Lamb, the Ghent Altarpiece by Jan and Hubert van Eyck (detail)

I also thought about one of the most awe-inspiring works of art I have seen in person, the Ghent altarpiece also called the Adoration of the Lamb. (My husband and I saw it this past May when we were in the Netherlands, we went to Belguim.)
.
Spring is here, new life is all around us, new ways of looking at life and our place in it also surround us. I have had a lot of changes in this past year and I have learned so much about myself. I have been out of work for most of the year and I have been fretting about it too. So often we define ourselves by what we do, I know I do anyway, and not by who we really are.
.
I worked very hard for two weeks and quit my "new" job because of the toll it was taking on me, on my husband, and on our quality time together (oh, and the doggies didn't like it much either!). I was one the road two hours a day and the salary did not compensate for that. Doing the math opened my eyes to that fact.
.
So, I am unemployed again, but with a difference this time -- I know who I am and what I am worth and also what I do well.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Now, for something completely different: I did not hear from Loretta, so I did another drawing and picked Katie Nelson as the new winner of the Bindweed Beetle bracelet. Email me with your address and I will get it out to you in just about no time!

5 comments:

Regina said...

You got to do what's right for the family. Another door will open. Be strong. Have a good week.

TesoriTrovati said...

I had been wondering about you! I am so proud of you. For doing what you knew in your heart was right, even if it hurt a little. I wish that I had that courage. Enjoy the day! Erin

Richard Shilling said...

Hey, that's a nice picture! Thanks again Emanda. Feel free to post whatever pictures you like. If you could spread the word I'd be most grateful, if you start with the world before moving onto the universe then all the better! Congrats on your big decision too. I believe that we are able to make big decisions when deep down we know it's right and you quite patently do. Good luck!

Richard

EmandaJ said...

Thanks Richard, I'll get started soon and let you know how it proceeds.

Of course everyone is wondering why we are so cryptic -- WAIT AND SEE!! 8^)

Emanda

Pretty Things said...

I know what you mean about defining ourselves by the work we do -- I have trouble with that. It's something I think many of us struggle with, so know you're not alone in that!