Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year and a New Decade

Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and days of old lang syne ?
For auld lang syne, my dear,

for auld lang syne,
We'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

Here it is a New Year and a new decade. Where does time go? I love getting in touch with friends and relations over the holidays even if it is just a note dropped in a pretty card or a friendly email to let us know we are in the thoughts and prayers of those we love.

This year we didn’t send out cards, and I have very mixed feelings about that.

Since I have been out of work, money seemed too tight and postage alone seemed out of sight. This particular year I didn’t send out cards because I helped with Mom’s surgery (double knee replacement) and recovery and I had a recovery of my own to deal with.

Do I feel guilty? Yes.

Am I willing to forgive myself? Yes again.

Do I still want to maintain the bonds of love and affection with our friends and family? Most definitely!

I got an email from some very dear old friends I have known for nearly 20 years. I met them when they were already in their seventies. I was doing research on 12th and 13th century Jesse Tree windows and they invited me to be a guest in their home while I was in Kent for my research. {Link } They treated me as if I were one of their kin and three years later, when I returned with a bound copy of my thesis for their local library; they treated me and my new husband just as kindly.

We have visited them several times and always come away feeling so blessed to know them. Neither my husband nor I have any grandparents left, and the Eagles have sort of stepped into that role.

They keep hinting at the inevitable . . . . I am hoping that we will be able to see them some time soon. Maybe a new job in a new year is just the ticket.

. . . We'll take a cup of kindness yet, for auld lang syne.


1 comment:

Hyped Fire said...

Greeat reading your blog